Since end of Febuary when Nigeria record it first case of COVID-19, Nigeria has recorded 2,558 confirmed cases of the new COVID-19 and 87 deaths, a much lower toll than those seen in coronavirus hotspots in Europe and the United States.
Nigeria government has said a stay-at-home order in place since March 30 in Abuja and the states of Lagos and Ogun will be lifted gradually over a six-week period.
The regions will now come in line with the rest of the country where the restrictions in force were less strict and include an overnight curfew, mandatory face masks in public and a ban on non-essential interstate travel.
Hours before restrictions were eased, Lagos State Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu in a tweet said;
“We must do all we can to stop the spread of #COVID19 so we must all take responsibility and do what is necessary to remain safe,” he said.
the street of Lagos city that was empty during the lockdown, were busy with cars, buses and motorized tricycle taxis this Monday morning.
Businesses have been allowed to reopen provided they have disinfected their offices, can enable social distancing and offer hand sanitizer and hand washing.
Schools and places of worship remain closed, restaurants can only operate on a takeaway basis, cultural events and all other social gatherings are still under ban.
Experts have not given much reasons for Nigeria’s low number of cases, though many point to the low testing rate. The Nigeria centre for disease control said 17,566 samples have been tested so far.